The First Ultimate Travel Writing & Blogging Workshop is for Writers and Small Business Owners of All Levels.
Looking for a way to document your travels? Hoping to bring your company online to increase your brand visibility? Longing to better share your travels in 140 characters or less? Or simply wanting to understand this whole “Web 3.0″ environment a little bit better?
The Ultimate Travel Writing & Blogging Workshop is a unique partnership between Kristin Luna and ISE designed to teach budding writers how to better document their travels and share their words and images with a global audience. Join us on Segment III of Enrichment Voyages’ Coastal Cultures of the West cruise (May 25 through June 16) as we sail to ports throughout Northern Europe–all while traveling aboard the MV Explorer floating campus. We will began our voyage in England and travel through Scandinavia and the Baltics, visiting Norway, Latvia, Russia, Sweden, Denmark and Germany before returning to England.
This course is not just for those who want to start a blog, but also writers hoping to break into print media, small business owners who want to expand their online presences and others who simply want to learn to navigate the evolving digital landscape a little better. Participants will gain the knowledge and tools to start and manage a blog or website, as well as learn how to juggle other social networks to best benefit their brands.
Mornings at sea will be spent in one of the ship’s classrooms learning better writing techniques, audience-building, how to craft a story, interview tactics, online etiquette and more.
Afternoons at sea will be open for participants to attend shipboard lectures and activities and apply what they’re learned in class to their writing and reporting. Assignments will be given based on ship offerings, and participants will be asked to write about their choice of activities. Select stories will be published on the official Enrichment Voyage blog.
In port there will be optional assignments (both individual and in groups), including an instructor-led outing in a specific port of call. Port assignments can be completed in conjunction with Enrichment Voyages’ Field Program offerings.
Click here for more information about the Ultimate Travel Writing & Blogging Workshop. And email me for a special sailing rate I’m offering to all who sign up for the course.
Itinerary: May 25-June 16, 2013
- May 25: Dover, England (embarkation)
- May 26: at sea
- May 27: at sea
- May 28: Oslo, Norway
- May 29: Oslo, Norway
- May 30: at sea
- May 31: at sea
- June 1: Riga, Latvia
- June 2: at sea
- June 3: St. Petersburg, Russia
- June 4: St. Petersburg, Russia
- June 5: St. Petersburg, Russia
- June 6: at sea
- June 7: Stockholm, Sweden
- June 8: Stockholm, Sweden
- June 9: at sea
- June 10: Copenhagen, Denmark
- June 11: Copenhagen, Denmark
- June 12: at sea (sailing the Kiel Canal)
- June 13: Hamburg, Germany
- June 14: Hamburg, Germany
- June 15: at sea
- June 16: Southampton, England (debarkation)
Workshop Leader: Kristin Luna
Tennessee-based writer Kristin Luna has worked in the media for more than a decade, after beginning her career in regional Southern newspapers. After college, she moved to New York for a job at Newsweek, then bounced around from Time Inc. to Conde Nast. She also moonlighted as a red carpet reporter for InStyle, Glamour, Entertainment Weekly and PEOPLE, interviewing everyone from Tom Hanks to Bruce Willis.
But travel has always been Kristin’s main focus. After New York, she switched coasts and relocated to San Francisco, from where she penned more than a dozen guidebooks for Frommer’s. She also shifted her focus from print publishing to online media and helped launch Visit California, the state’s tourism board, into the new digital age. Aside from owning two media and events companies, she also continues to freelance full time, with regular assignments for Forbes, Robb Report, Redbook, Cosmopolitan, Sunset, Southern Living, Budget Travel, Entrepreneur and other national publications.
In 2007, Kristin launched her award-winning blog, Camels & Chocolate: Tales from a Travel Addict, and through it since partnered with many major companies, from Microsoft to Omni Hotels. She has spearheaded social media campaigns for tourism boards across the globe, from the Bahamas to Rwanda, and has taught at 1,000-person digital media conferences and spoken for many university journalism classes. Kristin sailed on the Fall 2011 voyage of Semester at Sea as the assistant field office coordinator, and this will be her second consecutive spring Enrichment Voyage as the communications coordinator.
Speaker: Scott van Velsor
California-born Scott van Velsor has had a multifaceted career, from serving in the U.S. Navy while stationed at its Sicily base to working as a newspaper reporter, covering the local happenings of the BayArea. Scott has a journalism degree from San Francisco State University and media background with focuses in the arts and investigative reporting. His favorite assignment to date was delving into the oil industry of Azerbaijan. He and Kristin co-own Odinn Media, a company dedicated to bringing non-metro areas into the 21st century by developing their online presence and brand reputation.
Sample Topics and Lessons:
- Getting Started: choosing a URL, picking your platform, choosing your niche
- Content Generation: developing a routine, finding inspiration, staying motivated, beating writers’ block
- Content is King: focusing on the writing first and everything else later
- Crafting a Story: making your writing compelling for a wide online audience
- Building Your Audience: how to find readers—and keep them
- The Art of the Interview: perfecting interview etiquette and learning to ask the non-obvious questions
- How to Convey a Point in 140 Characters: getting your message/brand across via Twitter and Facebook
- Personal Firewall: the balancing act of maintaining a relationship with readers while keeping your privacy
- Online Etiquette: interacting with other bloggers, business owners and online influencers to maximize your brand’s exposure
- Blogging–Is There Money in It?: understanding ad networks, affiliate programs, link sales, e-commerce, e-books
The Ultimate Travel Writing & Blogging Workshop is a flat fee of $295 per person in addition to voyage fare. To find out more about the workshop or to sign up for the voyage, email me here.