I’m always saying “visiting so-and-so is on my life list,” but it occurred to me recently that I didn’t actually have a life list mapped out. Which is a surprise actually, as you should see how many lists I have going on my computer, bulletin board, office computer and phone alone. Well, that’s all changing now. While I’ve had my share of trips and travel experiences—100 countries countries and counting—there’s still plenty left to tackle. It might take me until I’m 95, but I’m determined to accomplish the following. Feel free to add yours in the comments!
Kristin’s Life List (as of 7/1/13)
1. Travel the Trans-Siberian Express from Saint Petersburg to Beijing via Ulaanbaatar.
2. See the Kazakh Steppes.
3. Write and publish a novel.
4. Sleep in a yurt in Mongolia.
5. Scuba dive in Palau’s Jellyfish Lake.
4. See tortoises in the Galapagos. (Completed 5/12.)
5. Trek across Bhutan.
6. Bike through the countryside of Vietnam.
7. Visit Holland during tulip season. (Completed 5/13.)
8. Swim with a dugong in Mozambique.
9. Drink hot chocolate with Inuits on Canada’s Baffin Island.
10. Sleep in a tented camp on Zanzibar.
11. Meet Taylor Swift.
12. Take an expedition boat around Greenland.
13. Tour Patagonia by any means possible—foot, plane, train, automobile, donkey, I don’t care.
14. Be surrounded by penguins in Antarctica.
15. Sail around the Falkland Islands.
16. Tour the Great American West by camper. (Completed 6/11.)
17. Stay at an ice hotel in Scandinavia.
18. Shark dive in Egypt’s Red Sea.
19. Cruise up the Amazon by river boat.
20. Go muck diving in the Philippines.
21. Spend a night in each of the 50 states. (I’m at 49. I still lack Iowa.)
23. Visit Scotland’s majestic Isle of Skye. (Completed 9/12.)
24. Observe a solar eclipse from Easter Island.
25. Step foot on Gough Island, the most remote spot on the planet.
26. Circumnavigate the globe. (Completed 12/11.)
27. Finish my e-book. (Pending.)
28. Visit Albuquerque during the International Balloon Fiesta.
29. Return to Japan when the cherry blossoms are blooming.
30. Drive Kentucky’s Bourbon Trail, sampling the local libations. (Completed 5/12.) 31. Be an extra in a TV show or movie. (Completed 12/12 on the series Nashville.)
32. Do a night dive with the manta rays on Hawaii’s Big Island.
33. Snorkel with manatees in the Florida springs.
34. Sleep in a castle in Ireland. (Completed 10/12.)
35. Become fluent in another language.
36. Take a tall ship cruise through the West Indies. (Completed 11/12.) 37. Buy a house. (Completed 8/12.) 38. Accomplish my fear of public speaking. (Completed 2/12.) 39. Own my own business. (Completed 7/12.)
40. Swim, snorkel or dive in a cenote in Mexico.
41. Be a spectator at a major horse race in Kentucky.
42. Be a guest at the Golden Globes or the Oscars.
To be continued…